WHAT WE SEE WHEN WE STAND AFAR


There is this roommate of mine “I really don’t like her” was my first impression. Sometimes she talks too much and sometimes she gets too quiet and most times she tries to place anyone that messes with her in the pit some of them actually belong. It isn’t as if we don’t talk but we aren’t really good conversationalists to each other.
This morning she just asked me this unexpected unseen question. She asked “do you write?” and I told her I do then she responded that she knows her type.  At first it was as if I was deaf to what she said. Then I realized she actually meant that she writes too. When she saw that I picked interest in the fact that she writes, she told me of how she really would have loved to study English Literature ( infact she said if she is given an opportunity she would study it ) but her Dad refused to let her when she told him of her passion when she was in JSS 3. He wanted her to study medicine but when she wrote jamb she was offered Microbiology instead. She said he killed her dreams of studying English Literature but he couldn’t bury the passion, he couldn’t get rid of it. She said one thing people fail to know is that English is versatile when it comes to getting a job.  As an English or literature graduate you can work almost everywhere you go. You find them in banks, construction companies, media houses, courts and many more .  They explorers, gods of versatility.
From that moment I didn’t like her, I loved her I mean I I love her. Not because we share the same interest but because she is a die hard, she thinks, she knows. Most people think English Literature is unprofessional so they wouldn’t let their children study it . How pathetic it is that they are ignorant of what amazing thing their children could make happen when they are allowed to pursue their dreams. Our societies do not need fakers, they need real people for development .
From afar I saw this lady as bossy but when I walked closer I saw a girl who wouldn’t let her dreams to be buried. From afar I saw her as one of those people that study because of the name the course they study would bring to them but when I looked closer, I saw a light that was supposed to be quenched but it isn’t. she is not shy but shy and she isn’t in between. Who is she then? What we seen from afar are not true of real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IS IT THAT EASY? IS IT GENDER?

GIVE THE RESPECT TO A DOG INSTEAD

I AM NOT NIGERIAN