AM YET TO SEE ANY HUMAN WHO IS BLACK

One evening, my friend and I decided to take a walk around. After our normal gossips while walking my friend in an ecstatic way suddenly leaped and said, "I am proud to be black!"
"Why the sudden ecstasy about being black ?" I asked in a confused way.
"In the south African book CROSS OF GOLD by Lauretta Ngobo, After the retaliatory words Mandla's friend gave to the whites about their skin being bleached, also their feelings being bleached when some whites kids harassed  him. I have being feeling beautifully black."
I laughed hard at what she said. The way she said the words and the way she exaggerated her movements in the process of describing her blackness is funny. And I said,
"Aren't we all proud of our colour. Of being black ? We are ..."
"I have looked around and I am yet to see any human that is black." A stranger voice suddenly cut me short. My friend and I turned around to a man, he was walking behind us and has obviously has being listening to our discussion.
He continued this time walking by our side, "  You are repeating the dehumanizing words of ancient European philosophers who, without being to Africa, assumed, first that Africans were demons, then pygmies, the sordid black."

"But Sir, our colour remains our colour. We can't change that fact because some of us feel inferior at the mention of black. What colour should we be called if not black then?" I replied

He looked at me disapprovingly and said, "The African is African. The Caucasian is Caucasian. The Asian is Asian. No human being should be labeled with artificial color. That's colorism. That racism.
The sentiment that we should attach to Africa, and Africanness IS that the first Humans originated from Africa, according to archeological discoveries.

The sentiment that makes Africa and Africans proud is that we are the progenitor of other races, each and everyone; from Africa, all other humans originated.

We should divest ourselves of the chains of slavery, colonialism, Apartheid, neocolonialism, and sundry artful evils of the Caucasian race."

"Sir, I..."

He cut me short again, "Young lady, I leave you with the question; Are you black?" And he walked faster away from I and my friend who was looking  confused.
The question "Are you black ?" should be simple to answer but seems not .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IS IT THAT EASY? IS IT GENDER?

GIVE THE RESPECT TO A DOG INSTEAD

I AM NOT NIGERIAN